Metricon in partnership with Oliyon Rapidly Enable 1400+ Employees To Work Remotely Via AWS
Metricon homes is a leading builder of houses in Australia. Metricon has a large and geographically dispersed employee base that requires access to corporate systems to meet client commitments.
- Unprecedented circumstances due to COVID19 pandemic meant Metricon Homes urgently needed to find a new and flexible way for the business to continue operating with minimal disruption.
- Existing on-prem VPN solution was insufficient in capacity and could not scale to meet business requirements as more and more employees were shifting to work from home.
- No existing Virtual Desktop capability meant that Metricon employees were forced to take laptops & desktops home, for remote working.
- Worked with Metricon team and leveraged the existing AWS foundation to rapidly enable AWS services to support the VPN solution.
- Designed the AWS WorkSpaces solution for automated provisioning, following industry best practices, leveraging deployment pipelines and infrastructure as code (using the AWS CDK).
- Integrated the Workspaces solution with the existing Active Directory provisioning process to automate access control; enabling workspaces to be provisioned and de-provisioned on demand (based on AD group membership).
- Rapidly delivered a production-ready solution to enable 1400+ user remote access to corporate applications.
- Within 3 weeks designed and deployed a fully automated production-ready AWS Workspace solution for consumption.
- Moved Metricon to a scalable pay per user model hence avoiding the need for asset lifecycle and capital investment.
- Established platform governance to support existing operational teams, providing greater workforce flexibility and improved cloud security posture.
“Oliyon has been a critical partner to us on this project. We will be working them again.”Matt Dickson – CIO Metricon